Fellow position in Mechanical Design - [ Fellow ]Added on: 21/06/2019 - Expires on 31/08/2019
The Dynamic Interaction Control Research Line (https://dic.iit.it/) at Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, is seeking a highly motivated fellow to work on the mechanical design of mechatronic systems.
The selected candidate will join an interdisciplinary team and will have the opportunity to contribute to the conceptualization, design, CAD modeling, fabrication, installation and testing of mechatronic systems in projects related to the iCub robot and to pneumatic systems.
- Design and optimize 3D/2D models of mechatronic parts and assemblies;
- Generate detailed technical documentation for 3D/2D assembly and parts manufacturing;
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines (electronics, software) to ensure the successful integration of their designs with the rest of the system;
- Interact with external contractors (e.g. workshops, manufacturers and suppliers);
- Troubleshoot mechanical issues.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent academic career (Master Degree obtained, or to be obtained within 6 months from job application date) in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or related fields;
- Solid understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics and physics;
- Understanding of basic and innovative manufacturing techniques, fabrication methods and material selection;
- Knowledge in parametric mechanical design (preferably PTC Creo Parametric) and FEA analysis software;
- Understanding of metrology, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing;
- Team player skills with the ability to communicate technical knowledge in a clear and understandable manner (English language).
Further desirable but not necessary skills include:
- Hands-on experience with analysis, design and testing of robotic systems, showing a portfolio of previous projects, publications, etc.;
- Fundamental understanding of stress mechanics;
- Knowledge of Matlab and Simulink.
The successful candidate will exploit a solid foundation of established technologies within the iCub Research Line and will rely on our fully-equipped machine shop. This foundation consists of extensive know-how on the design and control of mechatronics systems, key enabling technologies in haptic feedback, actuation, sensing, embedded control, etc..
The successful candidate will be offered a highly competitive salary, which will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please apply by August 31st. 2019, by sending your application to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting exactly “BC76563 – JP22 – Fellow position in Mechanical Design - DP” in the e-mail subject. Your application shall contain, as minimum requirements, a detailed CV, a letter outlining your motivation and name and contacts of 2 referees. As part of the application, we strongly suggest that you provide a link (unlisted or public) to a YouTube video of you talking about one of your mechanical designs. This video should be 1 minute in length (+/- 15 seconds) and should highlight your design as well as show your communication skills.
Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (http://www.iit.it) is a non-profit institution created with the objective of promoting technological development and higher education in science and technology. Research at IIT is carried out in highly innovative scientific fields with state-of-the-art technology.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an equal opportunity employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.
Please note that the data that you provide will be used exclusively for the purpose of professional profiles’ evaluation and selection, and in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
Please also note that, pursuant to articles 15 et. seq. of European Regulation no. 679/2016 (General Data Protection Regulation), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (phone +39 010 71781 - email: dpo[at]iit.it)